Why Feature A Wall?
Many homeowners choose to showcase a singular wall in their home for creative, decorative reasons.
- Depending on the material or colour you use, an interior feature wall can enlarge a smaller room and open up a space
- Adding different colours and textures to a room adds depth and drama to a cozy space
- Distinguishing a wall with a feature element defines that space for a specific function
- Using a feature wall to detract attention from something you don’t want people to focus on, like flaws or damage, creates something interesting for the eye to focus on
How To Choose A Feature Wall
There are a few different ways to choose a feature wall.
The best way is to choose a wall that is already the main focus of the room. This could be, the wall behind the fireplace mantel in your living room or behind your headboard in your bedroom.
Walls that have pre-existing focal points can make a great feature wall because it accents an already attention-grabbing wall.
Do’s and Don’ts
|Let the room’s architecture be your guide. The feature wall should be used to highlight the room’s existing focal point, such as a fireplace mantel or headboard.||Don’t put a feature wall in an already over-crowded room. When there’s too much going on in a space, it can be confusing to the eye and create an unintentional chaos.|
|Use a feature wall to define a living space. In an open floor plan home, it can be tricky to define areas. Feature walls make it easy.||Don’t put an accent wall in a small, cramped room. It will just make the room appear smaller.|
|Make sure the colour or texture you choose complements the rest of the room.||Don’t highlight walls with obvious flaws, windows, or doors. They deter attention from the feature.|
Common Questions About Feature Walls
- Can shelves be installed on feature walls?
- Yes. The Green Scene Landscaping team can create anything you desire, from shelving to mantels. Give us the idea and we’ll make it come to life in your home.
- Can windows or doors be installed in the feature wall?
- Yes. If there is something not yet in your home that you would like to add, we would love the opportunity to work with you. Remember to discuss this during your consultation, and we can go from there.
- Can you build a feature wall anywhere in my house?
- Yes. Feature walls look great inside and outside the home. Whatever you envision for your space, we’ll help you bring it to life.